Department of Genetic Eye Disease
● He Eye Specialist Hospital, the leader in gene diagnosis technology
● The largest eye gene bank in China
● The largest genetic testing center for retinitis pigmentosa and rare eye disease in Northeast China
● The only ophthalmology strategic partner of BGI
Introduction to the Department:
Shenyang He Eye Specialist Hospital is the first to establish the Department of Genetic Eye Disease. The department utilizes genetic diagnosis technology, and brings ophthalmology into a new era of precise diagnosis and treatment. Based on strategic cooperation between He Eye Specialist Hospital and BGI Life Sciences Institute, the department can use the most advanced genetic technology in the world to find the cause of disease, give accurate genetic information, provide assistance to clinical diagnosis, predict the risk of disease, direct targeting drugs, make a definite diagnosis of rare diseases and provide patients accurate diagnosis and treatment.
Assisting in accurate diagnosis and treatment of dozens of eye diseases such as high myopia, diabetic retinopathy, congenital cataracts, glaucoma, retinitis pigmentosa, eyeball malformation, eye tissue defects, the corneal, conjunctival and scleral diseases, the retinal, choroidal and vitreous diseases, lacrimal diseases, optic nerve diseases, iris and ciliary body diseases, retinoblastoma, eye diseases, eyelid shape and diseases.
What is genetic testing for high myopia?
By genetic testing for high myopia, the human body’s inherent susceptibility genes for high myopia can be found. In this way, we can assess the the risk of high myopia, discover the hidden dangers that induce high myopia from the genetic perspective, avoid the risk factors that cause high myopia, and then effectively prevent its occurrence.
Dangers of High Myopia:
High myopia has far greater dangers than the ordinary myopia. On one hand, high myopia brings a lot of troubles, for example, the patients are not able to participate in high-intensity physical exercise or intense contact sports; on the other hand, it can induce fundus diseases and causes retinal detachment, retinal hemorrhage, maculopathy, glaucoma and other complications, thus resulting in irreversible visual impairment.
It is proved by modern medicine that myopia over 600 diopters may be attributed to certain genetic factors. If not tested timely and risks found, myopia not only troubles you, but also is more likely to be passed on to the next generation.
Who should have a genetic testing for high myopia?
1. People with a family history of high myopia: people whose parent is with high myopia has higher risks to develop high myopia;
2. People who often look at near objects: adolescents who read and write for a long time or often use electronic products;
3. People who often study in poor light: no matter in the strong or weak light, myopia increases rapidly;
4. People who develop myopia at an earlier age: children who have been diagnosed with myopia at the age of 3-5 years old, and myopia develops rapidly;
5. People with improper diet: more sweet or fine foods, partial eclipse and picky eating may easily cause lack of micronutrients